Thursday, September 29, 2016

Recently, there has been a rise in the fish pedicure industry. However, according to Wikipedia, "The practice is banned in several of the states in the United States and Canadian provinces as cosmetology regulators believe the practice is unsanitary, with the Wall Street Journal saying that "cosmetology regulations generally mandate that tools need to be discarded or sanitized after each use. But epidermis-eating fish are too expensive to throw away". Thai safety regulations seem to be a bit more lax because these stands are everywhere, some more to regulation than others... 

It was our last day in Thailand before flying to Beijing China and I had the bright idea to try one. A quick cab ride later, we would end up in an alley at an outdoor fish spa. Appealing right? Lines of tanks were accompanied by seats that made up the numbered stations, one person per station. Behind the tanks sat racks of crocs and bikinis, imagine any tourist shop on the beach. It was a lot to take in, and not a very appealing environment, but the $1 charge and free wifi counted for something. 

The actual experience will be something that I never forget. Upon my entrance, I felt a slimy coating under my feet, red flag number one... I glance over at the tank next to me and see a dead fish floating in the corner, there goes red flag number two. A fish swims between my toes, red flag three. I’m done! As my mom and our travel friends enjoyed their pedicures, I filled my time reading the list of poorly translated health benefits, one of which being "skin smooth".

If you ever find yourself in Pattaya Thailand, the Vegas of Asia - I would not recommend this. For health safety reasons, and just overall sensation.




5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that fish pedicures were a thing. Based on your description of what being there was like, I imagine I would have done the same thing. Just reading about it was enough to send chills down my spine, it sounds very uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's kind of gross, but also something I've never thought about before. I've always wanted to experience the sensation of "watching fish nibble on your toes" but always imagined that taking place on some paradise beach with waves and sand: not in tank. So yes, I would say you made the right choice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I've heard of fish pedicures before. Cause they're fish, and you're sicking your feet into their water, I bet that it'd be a bit unsanitary. Your description of it doesn't sound as pleasant as I'd imagine it. I liked the background at the beginning. It made the rest of the piece make a lot more sense to me and gave me a more "eww" feeling when you got to the part of the actual pedicure. The pictures are cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I remember actually sticking my hand in a tank for a fish pedicure at the St Louis City Museum quite a few years ago. I vaguely remember it being really weird so I think your choice to not go through was quite justified.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have realized pedicures from aquatic creatures was... FISHY HAHA!
    Jokes aside, I always imagined getting fish pedicures would be extremely uncomfortable.
    I like the red flags, it gives the feeling of flow throughout the blog and leads up to "I'm done!" Great post :)

    ReplyDelete